Welcome to the Brave Start Up
Hear from the programme facilitator why we aim our programmes at people in their mid 40's and up, why we use a hybrid mix of online and group cohort workshops and what you can expect to get from this course:
About the course
This course is aimed at helping people who have an idea of a business and are ready to take some practical steps.
The course is a mixture of online elearning elements combined with group cohort meetings.
The course will take place over 12 weeks but you never graduate: all businesses iterate over time and we meet once a month in our small business networking meetings.
This is more than a course: it's a community of support, a place to learn and meet new friends.
About the facilitator
Mike is a seasoned thought leader and program director in the area of longevity, retirement preparations, and inclusion and diversity. Mike has been responsible for the establishment of the Aegon Center for Longevity and Retirement, a collaboration of experts assembled by Aegon with representation from Europe, the Americas, and Asia. He is author of 13 published reports with recommendations for governments, employers and individuals on living better for longer. He also developed and piloted the Silver Starters program to help people age 50 and older understand if entrepreneurship is something for them and help them start their own business.
Mike worked at Aegon for 18 years, previously holding roles as Sustainability Officer and Group Internal Auditor. Prior to working for Aegon, Mike worked for PwC and Wells Fargo Bank.
Gavin started life as a mortgage advisor. He started a healthy juice bar business 'on the side' and only gave up his job once the income from his side hustle outstripped his day job.
Anne worked in the alcohol beverage business and decided there was a gap in the market for non alcoholic spirits. Her brand is Eceaux and she's received her first round of investment funding.
Based in the Scottish borders, Jude is developing her fermented foods product business. Her aim is not to rule the world but to build a lifestyle that works around her interests and other volunteering and lifestyle commitments
What's in the course?
- Your Motivations
- Common traits of a business owner/entrepreneur
- Reality check - is starting a business right for me?
- The psychology of being an entrepreneur
- Characteristics of entrepreneurs over 50
- Exercise 1 - Describe an entrepreneur
- Exercise 2 - Picture yourself as an entrepreneur
- Age and Entrepreneurship
- Meet Han van Doorn – an inspiration for all entrepreneurs over 50
- Video: interview with Age and Entrepreneurship legend Elizabeth Isele
- Resource Library
- The journey from idea to startup
- What is a Business Model Canvas
- Practical Toolkit - Ready Set Launch
- The Business Model Canvas - Value proposition
- Case Study - Value Proposition of an English language school
- Case Study - Value Proposition of an Art Gallery
- Market research ideas/collective feedback and comments from the group